Senior ESG Communications Strategist
At OPB, we believe that a strong commitment to progress and transparency around issues of social responsibility, the environment, climate change and good governance are important to our role as owner of the Public Service Pension Plan’s assets. We work very closely with our investment manager, the Investment Management Corporate of Ontario (IMCO) to integrate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) factors into our investments. OPB is committed to making meaningful progress in meeting our ESG commitments.
We are currently seeking a Senior ESG Communications Strategist to help us advance and implement an effective communications strategy that demonstrates our commitment to ESG, and the progress we are making. Our goal is to instill member and stakeholder trust in our ESG practices and increase our members' understanding of ESG issues through curated education. With a broad understanding of the financial services environment and deep knowledge of ESG, you will lead the implementation of our communications strategy and be responsible for helping us refine and enhance the strategy going forward.
Working under the direction of the Director, Strategic Communications & Client Engagement you will build trusted relationships, liaising with internal and external partners. Keeping a pulse on emerging trends and best practices, you will make strategic recommendations on how OPB can continue to enhance and improve our ESG communications.
As an exceptional communicator, you will play a primary role in the development of OPB’s inaugural ESG report. You will work closely with colleagues throughout OPB, including Senior Leadership & Board of Directors providing strategic counsel. You understand what matters most to our members and stakeholders and will develop client centric communication materials that help our clients gain a deeper understanding of important ESG issues, how they’re impacting the Plan and our strategies, where we’re making progress and where we’re facing challenges.
You understand issues management and media relations and will identify relevant opportunities for proactive communications to strengthen OPB’s presence and develop appropriate responses to manage potential reputational issues. You’ll maintain a network of peers to keep informed of emerging trends and best practices in the industry.
• A degree or diploma in a communications discipline (Journalism, Public Affairs) or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
• A degree or diploma in a relevant discipline related to sustainability management, public policy, climate policy, environmental studies or demonstrated equivalent experience would be considered an asset.
• Deep understanding of ESG landscape, including familiarity of ESG related initiatives, standards, reporting and frameworks and advocacy groups.
• Superior communications skills, with the ability to distill technical and complex information into a clear, concise and compelling narrative for stakeholders.
• Exceptional writing skills with demonstrated experience writing reports, briefs, key messages.
• Demonstrated understanding of public issues and trends and ability to analyze implications to OPB.
• Well-developed problem-solving skills required to research and identify emerging issues, challenges and opportunities related to global and local ESG developments and initiatives.
• Strong project management capabilities, including the ability to manage competing priorities and adjust approach with shifting priorities.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with a strong to ability to influence without direct authority and build trust.
Please submit your resume if you are interested in this exciting opportunity.
The competition will remain open until a successful candidate is selected or until the competition is closed.
This competition is open to all employees of OPB and has been posted on LinkedIn.
OPB is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities in its recruitment process.
Please advise OPB if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
OPB is committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity and inclusiveness that reflects the diverse communities we serve.
We welcome and encourage applications from those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Candidates being considered for this position will be required to submit to a background screening.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.